Sunday, October 16, 2005

Can a church full of introvert get outside itself?

My pastor mentioned this morning that the Friends Church’s concern for the inner life has a tendency to attract introverts. My church doesn’t have a record of personality profile tests, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more extroverts in our community of believers. As an introvert, I need the influence of extroverts. I’m guessing that the majority of our biblical heroes were extroverts.

I’d like to think an introvert can be highly effective in relating to others. It takes some intentional effort. When the introvert extends himself/herself to a stranger, it might not be as natural as the extrovert, but I think it is more purposeful.

Perhaps the deciding factor on whether introverts can get outside themselves is whether or not they are self-centered.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gregg Koskela said...

I'm sort of getting scared that people actually listen to what I say. And I REALLY regret my choice of words about it during second service.

But I think you bring out a very good point: introverts ARE very good relationship builders. And I hope the overall impact of what I said this morning was one of moving toward hope instead of throw in the towel fatalism.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Dan McCracken said...

Gregg: What I heard was very hopeful and I don't understand why you regret your choice of words.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Aj Schwanz said...

I think Gregg's alluding to his "normal" versus "general" word choice (which I found funny). :) Ever since Dad subjected me to the temperment personality tests, I've always noticed the more contemplative nature of Friends. For a while, my theory on different denominations is that they manifested not because of doctrine, but more because of personality type. Which is why it's good (and hard) for us to mingle - to be the body of Christ more holistically.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home