Thursday, February 23, 2006

How many of our “Christian” organizations are self-serving in the sense that they were founded and are maintained for the purpose of serving people on the inside of the family of faith? I’m starting to realize that this is not in sync with the way of Christ. If Christ started a school, I’m guessing he would design it for dropouts and kids from dysfunctional families. If Christ started a publishing company, I expect his target audience would be spiritual seekers instead of those who already believe. And where would Christ shop for books? It’s easier for me to picture him in an eclectic independent store than in a “Christian bookstore.” If Christ had the choice between going to Samaria or to a Christian television studio, he would choose Samaria any day.

The way of Christ involves looking outside the box.

2 Comments:

Blogger kathy said...

It does seem like individual and corporate discernment is the key. As I said somewhere else, it seems that we are all called to care for different needs so that all needs will be cared for.

Even so, I do think you're right Dan. Christ would spend more time out of the church than in it and his target audience would still be those hungry for deeper faith and healing, even today.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Dan McCracken said...

The comments about diverse individual callings, discernment, and balance are much appreciated. So much of my life and work is "inside" the church that I have to swing my mental pendulum the other direction in my search for balance.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home