Sunday, March 19, 2006

It’s Sunday morning and the faithful have gathered. I’m not at Hometown Friends Church this morning. As attenders at the 9:45 service find their usual places for worship, I’m two hours away at Twin Rocks Friends Camp. I’m at a Barclay Press writers retreat and in a few minutes we will be starting our time of worship. We’ll be doing a lectio divina together. We won’t be doing any singing this morning which works just fine for me. I probably wouldn’t say this to my musician friends, but I don’t buy the assumption that a worship service should include music. I’m not against music, I’m just not good at it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

Dan,
Recently, I have been (tactfully, I hope) questioning my non-musical friends about their experience with music in worship. Does it work for them or not? What might work better? How do those without a connection to music in other areas of their lives connect (or not) during corporate, musical worship? And what could I do as a worship leader to help lead-worship, not just music-in a way that is accessible to and meaningful for as many as possible?
So when I saw your post this morning, I hoped that it might prompt a dialogue about (good and bad) experiences in worship, with the goal of deepening our practice of worship together.
What are your thoughts about this subject? I'd love to listen...
Bethany

9:21 AM  
Blogger Dan McCracken said...

Bethany,
My short answer is that my rebellion has to do with the assumption or tradition that music is an essential part of worship and not the actual practice. At times music in worship has been extremely meaningful and you have prompted me to reflect on some of those experiences. I will need more time to really respond.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home