Sunday, April 30, 2006

It’s Sunday morning and the faithful have gathered. Of course singing is one of the first things we do at Hometown Friends Church. The title of one of the songs is “God Will Take Care of You.” I believe in most of what the song expresses, but I find “Nothing you ask will be denied,” to be a bit simplistic. I’m trying for a moment to think honestly about prayer rather than just finding fault with the hymn writer.

The pastor is talking about Peter today. It’s the passage where Jesus repeatedly asks Peter, “Do you love me?” I’m reminded again about my general perception of Peter. I have Peter tagged as the ADHD disciple. The primary characteristics for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention. I’m neither a biblical scholar nor a clinical psychologist, but Peter and ADHD look like a match to me. I want to believe God can take people with ADHD where they are and use them in powerful ways. Peter makes me think this can and does happen.

2 Comments:

Blogger mauri macy said...

"Nothing you ask"...some of our common experiences (and that would be all of us) make that line a little hard to sing/understand...even though it's very close to scripture. In each service today I sang it with a bit of a wince.

On the other hand, the chicken (OK, mother hen) metaphor was always comforting...altho' it would have to read "beneath her wings of love abide" and for most, that would be a little jarring.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Mr Ammar said...

مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة نجد الرياض

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home