Monday, May 15, 2006

When Abigail Bartlet asks her husband what he’s thinking about, he answers, “Tomorrow.” Jed Bartlet has just left two terms as President of the United States in the successful television series The West Wing.

It’s the answer I would want to give, but I would be thinking back instead of forward. I’d be replaying high points and low points in fruitless reflection. What could I have done differently? How will I be remembered?

I like the perspective of the writers who put that word in President Bartlet’s mouth.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peggy Senger Morrison said...

Just wanted to say Hi, and thank you. I read every post you write. You speak to my condition much more often than you would know. Today I really needed to read this.

"It’s the answer I would want to give, but I would be thinking back instead of forward. I’d be replaying high points and low points in fruitless reflection. What could I have done differently? How will I be remembered?"

I'm not sure what it means when the list of influential 'people' in my life include "Buffy the vampire slayer" and Jake Bartlett, but that list also include Dan McCraken.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Peggy Senger Morrison said...

Dan McCracken whose name I could spell right if I could type.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Dan McCracken said...

Peggy,
Thanks for the kind words, but now I have to put out the egocentric fire you lit before it does some damage. Perhaps some day I’ll develop the ability to receive a compliment without it rushing to my head.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home