Thursday, August 25, 2005

I’m out of shape.

I never was in great shape. I grew up on a farm and could lift a milk can, stack hay, and dig a ditch. But I was never athletic. In PE I was one of the last chosen and one of the last to finish when we ran laps.

I’ve probably been more athletic as an adult than I was in high school. I did some running for a while and enjoyed the benefits. But it’s easier to get out of the habit than to get into it and I now have a personal history and familiarity with the term “sedentary lifestyle.”

Several weeks ago I learned there would be a Live Strong bicycle ride with Lance Armstrong. The event is a fundraiser for cancer research. My interest in cancer treatment, admiration for the sport of cycling, and respect for Lance Armstrong stimulated an impulse to sign up. I was smart enough not to register for the 100 mile ride or the 75 mile version. My ego told me the 10 mile route was too wimpy, so a signed up for the 40 mile option and vowed I would start getting in shape.

Now the ride is a month away; I’m still out of shape; and I’m wondering why I thought I was too good for the 10 mile route.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home