Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I’m thankful for the unique opportunity I had in the late 70s and early 80s to live and work in Jackson, Mississippi. What an adventure for a family of six from Oregon. It started with a divine prompting to explore the possibility of working with John Perkins at Calvary Ministries and turned into a calling to lead the communications aspects of that ministry. I think one of the most important things I learned in Mississippi was how much I really don’t know. I returned to Oregon knowing less than what I thought I knew when I left. I really don’t know much about poverty. I don’t know what it’s like to be black in America. I don’t know how to relate to other races without the subtle (and evil) influences of prejudice. I don’t know where to find all the scares of slavery and I’m clueless as to how they might be healed.

I was blessed by the generous hospitality extended to a yankee, the gracious tolerance of my ignorance, and blunt candor required in order for a diverse but tight-knit ministry to be effective. This was a unique time in my life that created lasting friendships and that made me a better person.

I’m grateful for the opportunity to spend two and a half years in a racially, culturally, and economically diverse Christian community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home