Sunday, December 18, 2005

It’s Sunday morning and the faithful have gathered. The group looks more energetic than what they feel because most are being fueled by Christmas adrenalin. The 20s and 30s folk at Hometown Friends Church are excited about plans to go spend Christmas with parents or their children have put a new joy into Christmas that only adult with young children can experience. Some of the older crowd are looking forward to grandchildren and adult children coming to visit. Even the people who are only looking forward to it all being over are acting happy because that is what is expected at this time of the year.

The theme this morning was love. When the pastor asked us to put something on paper that represented a time when we felt loved and included, my mind went the other direction and recalled a couple of times when I felt excluded. Feeling on the outside is not the norm for me, but I felt it was good for me to remind myself how that feels. I don’t want my actions or attitudes to contribute to anyone feeling unloved or excluded.

The service ended with the lighting of the third advent candle. The temperature outside encourages loitering. As people greet each other on their way toward the exits, they are careful not to say “happy holidays.” The faithful like a cause and this year the “enemy” is the word holiday because it does not give Christ the respect he deserves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home