Monday, January 09, 2006

Born Again and Again and My Fundamentalist Education are two recent book titles that caught my interest. The tone of these books is what specifically interests me. I expect to hear harsh criticism and some resentment when someone who has grown up in a fundamentalist environment writes a book after they have traded their childhood religion in for something much broader.

I’ve not seen the books, just a review and interview. Speaking of Jon M. Sweeney (author of Born Again and Again: Surprising Gifts of a Fundamentalist Childhood) a reviewer says, “His respect for this fellow Christians, even those with different beliefs, is something we should all emulate in our own spiritual journeys.” When Christine Rosen (author of My Fundamentalist Education: A Memoir of a Divine Childhood) was interviewed on National Public Radio, their introduction of her includes: “In her memoir, she writes without anger or apology about ideas she has left behind.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Johan Maurer said...

Interesting coincidence: I just borrowed Born again and again from our public library branch last week—it was in the new books display. I haven't started it yet; my pattern is to wait until it's almost due!

Johan

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home