Thursday, July 06, 2006

I heard a couple of days ago that one of the dynamics in the inadequate funding for education in Oregon is that when possible (at least in our district), aids are hired toward the end of the school year to help low achievers pass the grade. I was unimpressed. I wonder if it’s a little like putting a band-aid on a broken arm.

I was thinking about this a little bit before noting on the front page of the paper that Kenneth Lay died. I didn’t take the time to read the whole story, but it indicated that his family may be saved from “financial ruin.”

Not enough money is available to give our children a good education and the family of Ken Lay gets to keep the ill-gotten gains he would have lost if he lived? I don’t get it. How does his death change his financial responsibility?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home