Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I’ve not seen Jesus Camp, but what I’ve read makes me think it is a caricature. The movie is a documentary of a summer Christian training camp “where kids are taught to become dedicated Christian soldiers in God’s army and are schooled in how to take back America for Christ (from www.jesuscampthemovie.com). Caricature (a distorted representation to produce a ridiculous effect) is probably not an appropriate descriptor for a documentary. But even truth, when you slice it right, can create or spread a distortion. I don’t know if the purpose of the movie is to warn people about evangelical Christianity’s radical right or if the purpose is ridicule. I don’t know if either is worth making a movie. Perhaps I should go see the movie, but I don’t like to walk out of the theater at the end of a movie feeling like I just wasted a chunk of time and money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home