Friday, April 20, 2007

I’ve not been glued to the media coverage of the Virginia Tech tragedy, but I’ve seen enough to have formed some opinions. The picture has been shown through a close-up lense instead of a wide angle. The big questions have not gotten enough attention and minutia has been played and replayed. The repeated question of why the school was not locked down sooner strikes me as critical hindsight that ignores the fact that no matter what the university did (short of quickly finding and isolating the gunman), he would have been able to take 30 more lives plus his own. I’d like to look beyond the laws that permitted the gunman to buy his weapons and ammunition. I want to hear a cry to outlaw handguns in the United States. I don’t think it’s right to question whether Virginia Tech somehow failed this one student without addressing the bigger issue of the relationship of government funding for human services and the number of crazies who are a threat to themselves and to public safety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home