Sunday, August 28, 2005

I’m a lousy son.

Today is my dad’s 89th birthday and I didn’t send a card or present. That’s not the big reason I call myself a lousy son. Yesterday I phoned him to visit and gave him my birthday wished a day early. The reason I’m a lousy son is because it was the first time I had been in touch for weeks. My dad is a good man who has lived an honorable life. He deserves better treatment from his son than what he gets.

My inattention is one of my warts. I don’t know where it comes from and it shouldn’t be difficult to remove it, but there it is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gil S said...

Hi Dan. Just a thought from a never-good-enough daughter of a 91 year old mother - don't put yourself down. Are you an only child or do you have siblings you could talk to about the way you connect [or not] with your father? Having just been told by my mother that she wishes she was dead [as usual] and that noone cares about her [thanks a bunch] I texted my lovely sister in law who is in the middle of treatment for breast cancer and got a helpful supportive text back. You are not a lousy son but if you feel you might act differently talk to someone about it.
Yours in friendship

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home