Wednesday, October 26, 2005

On my way home from work, I noticed several people gathered at the city flag pole. All the traffic going through Newberg in either direction passes this point where two-way lanes make a Y to form two one-way streets. I’m guessing they were university students, but that’s only a guess. I saw several “END THE WAR” signs as I went by.

I also noticed a man in a hooded jacket sitting in a canvas chair by the curb. His sign read, “TRY CANADA.”

In our polarized culture, at least the differing points of view were there together where they could have personal dialog. I expect there was some verbal interaction. I hope none of the war protesters were as sarcastic as I am when I talk about (not to) people who disagree with my point of view.

The other thing I thought about is what “TRY CANADA” means. I assume it means that if you disagree with something your government is doing, you should go to another country. Why would someone support a military effort to create a democracy in the Middle East, but not support democracy in the United States?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home