Thursday, November 17, 2005

Today at 11:30 is the memorial service for Gerald Wilson at Azusa Pacific University. Gerald died Friday of a sudden heart attach.

A couple of weeks ago on the 22nd anniversary of the death of David Leach, I was touched by seeing the ongoing influence in the life of his son.

Yesterday I learned that a friend lost his mother to cancer.

When I was in the eighth grade, my mother died from breast cancer. Has this had an effect on my life? Certainly, but I’m thankful it has not been a crippling effect. Twelve years ago my daughter, Trina, died of a brain tumor. Of course this has had an effect on my life in ways I understand and in ways I don’t understand.

Death is all around us and sometimes it has a crippling effect on the people left behind. The inability to create a new life without the loved one, the inability to resolve issues that had never been settled, the inability to accept an untimely tragedy, the inability to move beyond anger and resentment: these are some of the death wounds that in certain cases require something more than time for healing.

I’m not thankful for the experiences of death in the circles of family and close friends, but I am thankful that God has been so gracious that I feel unscarred by death.

I’m grateful today for God’s grace in my life as he has helped me deal with death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home