Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I am occasionally reminded that we have not made as much progress closing the gender gap as we should. It seems to me that women have been given responsibility more quickly than they are given authority and prestige.

A.J. Schwanz noted in her blog that a session on the emerging church at a national pastors conference is all male. I too easily let male dominance go unnoticed—on boards, among conference presenters, in pastoral leadership. I need to continue to retrain myself to not fall into a cultural mindset that does not give women the encouragement and empowerment to realize their potential.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aj Schwanz said...

Part of me wonders if women *are* leading, but society hasn't deemed it to be a "leadership role" - that we're not looking in the right places or with the right lenses. . .

10:07 PM  
Blogger Dan McCracken said...

Education (both at home and in school) during the most formative years of a child's life would certainly be one example.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home