Monday, January 23, 2006

The Supreme Court ruling on Oregon’s Death with Dignity Act put Senator Gordon Smith in a place he didn’t want to be. The following message I sent to the Senator’s office is in response to his announcement that he feels this issue has been decided (even though many of his Republican colleagues will want to bring it back to the Senate floor).

“I admire your efforts to find balance as you work for the common good. Balancing personal conviction with serving as the representative of your constituency has to be very challenging, but you seem to be doing it with grace and dignity.

“I am pleased when an elected official denies partisan loyalty the power to override conviction. Your respect for the judiciary and for your constituency is exemplary. I do not interpret this as a compromise of your personal moral values. I hope your colleagues on both sides of the isle and the voters will note that the issues are more important than partisan power plays.” (I should have said principles instead of the issues.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home