Friday, July 07, 2006

I remember my dad commenting that he was glad Nyle was part of our farming community. “If it weren’t for Nyle, the neighbors would probably be talking about me.” This was his way of showing humility by implying he wasn’t much better than Nyle.

It’s the people with the most obvious flaws that help draw attention away from my warts. I look like I’m doing a fabulous job of maintaining our home and yard when compared to the house three blocks away with the two broken down motor homes and now a dumpster out at the curb. I might look industrious compared to the guy who carries a paperback between restaurants up and down highway 99.

But trying to feel better about myself by making comparisons is a loser’s game that only makes me smaller.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home